Sugar Cookie's Guardian Program
The Guardian Program was designed to benefit all involved, the puppy, the Guardian Family, and us as an Australian Labradoodle breeder. Guardian Families provide a permanent, loving home for dogs that are a part of our breeding program and we are grateful that this program eliminates the need for a kennel situation. Australian Labradoodles are highly social and loving, and deserve to live their best life as part of a wonderful family. The Guardian Program was designed so that we may expand in a way that keeps our dogs happiest and living their best life. We are thankful for Guardian Families and are always in need of others that are interested, so we may continue a successful breeding program.
We select our future breeding prospects very carefully, and our 'Breeder Reserves' demonstrate the most ideal qualities that we want to continue in our breeding. Thus our guardian homes receive the best we have to offer when we place a prospective breeding dog with them. A puppy is generally placed with a Guardian Family after 16 weeks on a trial basis before deciding on permanent placement.
To be considered to be a Guardian family you must:
1. Live within 30 minutes of Lansing, Michigan.
2. Own (not rent) your home.
3. Have a fenced yard (exceptions considered on a case by case basis). Electric or invisible fencing does not qualify.
4. Families must complete levels 1 and 2 of Obedience classes with your dog by the time it is 8 months old. These are basic classes that provide socialization, manners, and basic commands that are necessary for a well-behaved dog. An additional class and testing is also required to achieve AKC's 'Canine Good Citizen' certification by the time the puppy is 14 months old.
5. Be responsible for all non-breeding related expenses including vaccinations, deworming, and heartworm preventative per our protocol, veterinary check ups, illness diagnosis and treatment, professional grooming every 6-8 weeks for an 'Australian Labradoodle' look, and feeding a high quality dog food.
6. Make the puppy available and transporting to us for health testing and veterinary visits related to breeding. As the breeder, we are responsible for all testing and veterinary care expenses related to breeding.
7. Monthly updates and pictures so we can keep in touch and watch your puppy grow too.
8. Love your puppy!
At Sugar Cookie Labradoodles we keep only those very few, select puppies who demonstrate the qualities that we want to see in future puppies. We will pay for all health testing to make sure that puppy is qualified for breeding. If for some reason your puppy does not pass all tests to our standards, we will spay or neuter the puppy at our expense and it will remain in your home forever. If the puppy does meet our standards it will stay with us during breeding, and if a female she will have up to four litters, coming to stay in our home about a week before delivery until her puppies are weaned at around 5-6 weeks. When she is finished with all breeding she will be spayed at our expense and remain with you, her 'forever' family.
Let us know if you are interested in becoming a Guardian!